August 29, 2017
There’s a variety of new titles making their way to physical media and streaming services this week. The notables include Baywatch, The Lion King, and Star Wars Rebels: Season Three.
When a dangerous crime wave hits the beach, the legendary Mitch Buchannon leads his elite squad of lifeguards on a mission to prove that you don’t have to wear a badge to save the bay. Joined by a trio of hotshot recruits, including former Olympian Matt Brody, they ditch the surf and go deep under cover to take down a ruthless businesswoman whose devious plans threaten the future of the bay.
- Meet the Lifeguards: A detailed examination of the cast and characters and the qualities the actors brought to the roles.
- Continuing the Legacy: A look at the TV show’s success and legacy and the importance of recreating it in the right way.
- Stunts & Training: As the title suggests, this supplement looks at the actors’ physical preparations for the parts and executing the necessary scenes and stunts.
- Deleted & Extended Scenes: CJ Messes with Stephanie, Coffee and Doughnuts, Where Could I Score?, Bathroom Misunderstanding, Directions to the Morgue, and Brody and Captain Thorpe.
The Lion King
This Disney animated feature follows the adventures of the young lion Simba, the heir of his father, Mufasa. Simba’s wicked uncle, Scar, plots to usurp Mufasa’s throne by luring father and son into a stampede of wildebeests. But Simba escapes, and only Mufasa is killed. Simba returns as an adult to take back his homeland from Scar with the help of his friends Timon and Pumbaa.
- Visualizing a Villain: Performance artist David Garibaldi paints a large image of Scar while dancers perform “Be Prepared.” Yes, it is very weird.
- The Recording Sessions: Directors Rob Minkoff and Roger Allers introduce this clip reel of the voice actors in the studio in the early 90’s, mostly sourced from VHS resources.
- Inside the Story Room: Five story room sessions are presented with a “Play All” option or individually. When playing all, you get an introduction by the Directors about the storyboard process. The sessions themselves were recorded on a hand-held camera and use some close-ups of the artwork to help tell the story.
- Circle of Life (4:58)
- Simba & Nala (3:40)
- Simba Takes Nala Out to Play (2:23)
- Hakuna Matata (5:43)
- Rafiki and the Reflecting Pool (5:55)
- Nathan and Matthew: The Extended Lion King Conversation: Filmed for a 2011 documentary called “Pride of the Lion King,” this extended interview features moderator Tom Schumacher interviewing Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane from Sardi’s restaurant on Broadway while both actors were starring in The Producers.
- Bloopers & Outtakes: Animated bloopers created for the Diamond Edition release, sometimes using real recording session bloopers and other times completely made up animated moments. The flash animation style is a huge downgrade from what you will see in the films or even the sequels.
- The Morning Report: Extended Scene: Produced for the Platinum Edition DVD, this song from the Broadway show was inserted back into the film. This release does not allow you to watch the film with the scene, but it can be viewed here as a bonus feature.
- Deleted & Alternate Scenes: Available as a “Play All” feature or individual, the Directors introduce these deleted scenes from the Diamond Edition Release.
- Zazu Flatters Mufasa (0:27)
- “King of the Wild” (2:23)
- Scar Wants Nala as his Queen (5:08)
- Simba and Nala Reunited (3:19)
- Zazu Flatters Scar (0:52)
Star Wars Rebels: Season Three
This animated TV series is set in time somewhere between the events of Episode III (Revenge of the Sith) and Episode IV (A New Hope) and follows a group of ragtag but incredibly brave rebels as they watch with horror while the Empire increases its control of the galaxy. The rebels must band together to resist the Empire’s vicious plan to hunt down and wipe out the last of the Jedi Knights. The series follows the adventures and tribulations of a scrappy rebel star ship as they use their wits and ingenuity to outwit the far more powerful Empire.
- Return to Mandalore: Explore where Mandalore fits within the Empire’s regime – and whether Sabine can unite her people against the Imperial forces.
- Thrawn: A Legend Reborn: Learn Thrawn’s significance in Star Wars lore, and what the future may hold for this memorable villain.
- Apprentices to Outcasts: Kenobi And Maul: Track two adversaries who’ve clashed throughout Star Wars history, and find out why the time was right to conclude their story.
- The Original Rebel: Saw Gerrera Returns – Extended: Meet the Original Rebel. This exclusive extended version features Forest Whitaker discussing the character he brings to life in both Rebels and Rogue One.
- Five Audio Commentaries: Featuring Dave Filoni (Executive Producer), Justin Ridge (Supervising Director), Kilian Plunkett (Art Director), Keith Kellogg (Animation Supervisor) and Joel Aron (CG Supervisor: Lighting & FX).
All three of these films are now available on blu ray, dvd, and available to stream on all major video on demand platforms (Amazon, YouTube, Xbox, PlayStation).